Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gimme a "K"...or 5

I love to glance at my favorite blogs daily (and yes, maybe even multiple times a day if I'm not super interested in what I'm working on, but who doesn't right)...but I can't seem to keep up with my own. So, here's to trying to blog at least once a week. I need to keep you all posted on our happenings and this weekend was one that shouldn't disappoint.

Trace's school had their annual 5k/1k fun run this weekend. I was signed up to run it with my friend Amanda and I had Trace and Elizabeth signed up to run the 1k. Frizz backed out last minute, but Trace and I were pumped and ready to go...

Here were our (ok, my) goals:

1-Finish the 5k WITHOUT walking. I've done two other 5k's and had to walk a little in both. I wanted to finish this one running.

2-Have Trace finish his 1k WITHOUT walking. I really wouldn't have cared if he walked, but I was excited to see what his little body could do. At the risk of sounding like a crazy mom (which I know I am)...I'll be honest and tell you that I did take him out and we ran the course a week before just so he could see what it was like.

Here were our results:

1-I ran the WHOLE thing. I finished in 32 minutes flat - right over a 10 minute mile. I got 3rd in my female age bracket and got a medal which earned me major cool points with my kids. (Side note: I still have 2 years in this bracket until I bump up, I'm going to hold on tightly.)

2-Trace ran the WHOLE 1k. There were about 50 kids that took off in a full on sprint when they said "GO!". They didn't last that long at that pace, but when they came back around the corner, Trace was still up front. We learned that I am in fact a crazy mom, because I think I ended up running around the entire course telling him he could do it. I think he'll be mortified if I continue this type of behavior as he grows up. He never stopped and ended up coming in 4th. He was pooped, but enjoyed it. He's my little competitor which was evidenced by his very obvious disappointment that he didn't get any sort of medal. They gave medals to kiddos that ran in the 5k, so he says he wants to do that next year. I'll have to decide if 3.2 miles for a 7 year old is a good choice, but we'll wait to worry until next year.

Overall, a really fun morning. The thing is, I always get emotional at the finish line when I myself cross or I see others. I am really trying to lead a healthier more active lifestyle, and I am so proud of any person who CHOOSES to go and do something like this. There are always people there who are achieving a goal to finish one or beat their time or whatever it might be...either way, congratulations to all the Negley Navigator runners and here's to this 3rd place 30-34 year old female and my precious boy! Go us!

And, we do have proof that this event actually took place and that we participated. I am going to learn how to collage pictures and post them this week (which might actually prove harder than running the 3.2 miles).

1 comment:

Allena said...

Yay!!! So proud of the Jansens! Download Picasa. It is super easy to make collages. :)